Destination 2040 Vision and Goals
The Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization envisions a modern, well-maintained transportation system that supports a sustainable, healthy, livable, and economically vibrant region. To achieve this vision, the transportation system must be safe and resilient; incorporate emerging technologies; and provide equitable access, excellent mobility, and varied transportation options.
- Safety: Transportation by all modes will be safe
- System Preservation: Maintain and modernize the transportation system and plan for its resiliency
- Capacity Management/Mobility: Use existing facility capacity more efficiently and increase transportation options
- Clean Air/Clean Communities: Create an environmentally friendly transportation system
- Transportation Equity: Ensure that all people receive comparable benefits from, and are not disproportionately burdened by, MPO investments, regardless of race, color, national origin, age, income, ability, or sex
- Economic Vitality: Ensure our transportation network provides a strong foundation for economic vitality
Revisiting the LRTP’s Vision, Goals, and Objectives
The development of Destination 2040 offers an opportunity for the MPO to revisit its 20-year vision for the transportation system in the Boston region—and the goals and objectives that advance that vision—while updating the Needs Assessment and hearing the public’s ideas for ways to improve the system. The MPO first discussed proposed changes to the vision, goals, and objectives of the LRTP at the meeting on November 15, 2018. The proposed changes were then made available for public comment, and MPO staff conducted a survey to solicit feedback.
At the MPO’s meeting on January 17, 2019, after reviewing public comments and survey responses, the MPO board voted to adopt the revised vision, goals, and objectives laid out in Proposed Changes to Existing Vision, Goals, and Objectives (html).
The MPO will use the revised vision and goals to guide all of its planning efforts and investment decisions.
For more information, please contact Anne McGahan, MPO staff, at 857.702.3676 or firstname.lastname@example.org.