Home » Plans and Programs » Plans
The Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) guides investment in the Boston metropolitan region’s transportation system for the next 25 years. It defines an overarching vision of the region’s future transportation, establishes goals and objectives that will lead to achieving that vision, and allocates projected revenue to transportation programs and projects consistent with the Boston Region MPO’s goals. It also informs development of the short-range Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)—a set of transportation improvement projects that the MPO expects would be implemented during the next four years.
The LRTP—which is updated every four years to be responsive to the region’s continuously evolving needs—includes information on the following topics:
- Visions, goals and objectives to guide future investments
- A discussion of issues that influence those goals
- Projects recommended for funding during the time frame of 25 or more years that cost more than $20 million each, or that add capacity to the transportation system
- An assessment of the region’s transportation needs
- Forecasts of future travel demand
- Forecasts of financial resources for operating, maintaining, and investing in the transportation system
- Consideration of regional plans for land use, development, housing, and employment
- An examination of the distribution of the transportation system’s benefits and burdens among transportation equity and non-transportation equity populations
- An air quality conformity determination, which demonstrates that the LRTP is consistent with the State Implementation Plan for attaining air quality standards
Final LRTP – Charting Progress to 2040
The MPO approved a new LRTP Charting Progress to 2040, on July 30, 2015. The LRTP creates a 25-year vision for transportation in the region and lays the foundation for the MPO’s other 3C planning activities, such as the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) and the Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP). The new LRTP is taking on an additional role by providing the framework for the MPO’s performance-based planning process. This process guides prioritization of programs and projects, and sets benchmarks for future performance measures and goal tracking.
This document may be downloaded in PDF and accessible formats below.
- Executive Summary
- Table of Contents (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 1: Transportation Planning for the Boston Region (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 2: Process for Developing Charting Progress to 2040 (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 3: Transportation Needs in the Boston Region (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 4: Funding the Transportation Network (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 5: The Recommended Plan (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 6: Charting Performance (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 7: Transportation Equity (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 8: Air-Quality Conformity Determination and Greenhouse Gas Analysis (pdf) (html)
- Appendix A: Scenario Planning Process (pdf) (html)
- Appendix B: Universe of Projects and Programs (pdf) (html)
- Appendix C: Project Evaluation (pdf) (html)
- Appendix D: Public Comments (pdf) (html)
- Appendix E: Methodology for Land Use Projections in the Boston Region (pdf) (html)
- Appendix F: Glossary of Acronyms (pdf) (html)
- Full Document (90.5 MB) (pdf)
Charting Progress to 2040 Downloadable Resources
Additional information about the LRTP development process, development schedule, investment programs, and scenario-planning process is available to download via the links below.
- Vision Statement, Goals, and Objectives (pdf) (html)
- Charting Progress to 2040: Developing the Boston Region’s Next LRTP (pdf) (html)
- Help Shape the Transportation Vision for the Future: Overview of Investment Programs (pdf) (html)
- Charting Progress to 2040: Scenario Planning Results (pdf) (html)
- Charting Progress to 2040: Results of Mini-Surveys (May to July 2015) (pdf) (html)
- Supplemental Statewide Report, Meeting Air Quality Goals in Transportation (Massachusetts Department of Transportation and the Metropolitan Planning Organizations), August 2015 (pdf) (html)
The LRTP Archive contains older LRTP documents.
For more information, please contact Anne McGahan, MPO Staff, at 857.702.3676 or email@example.com.