Long-Range Transportation Plan
Home » Plans and Programs » Plans
The Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) guides investment in the Boston metropolitan region’s transportation system for at least the next 20 years. It defines an overarching vision of the region’s future transportation, establishes goals and objectives that will lead to achieving that vision, and allocates projected revenue to transportation programs and projects consistent with the Boston Region MPO’s goals. It also informs development of the short-range Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)—a set of transportation improvement projects that the MPO expects would be implemented during the next four years.
The LRTP—which is updated every four years to be responsive to the region’s continuously evolving needs—includes information on the following topics:
- Goals to guide future investments
- A discussion of issues that influence those goals
- Projects recommended for funding during the time frame of 20 or more years that cost more than $10 million each, or that add capacity to the transportation system
- An assessment of the region’s transportation needs
- Forecasts of future travel demand
- Forecasts of financial resources for operating, maintaining, and investing in the transportation system
- Consideration of regional plans for land use, development, housing, and employment
- An examination of the distribution of the transportation system’s benefits and burdens among environmental-justice and non-environmental-justice areas
- An air quality conformity determination, which demonstrates that the LRTP is consistent with the State Implementation Plan for attaining air quality standards
New LRTP in Development
The MPO is currently updating the LRTP to define transportation needs and priorities for the region through 2040. This process will result in a new LRTP, Charting Progress to 2040, which should be completed by June 2015. More information about this planning process and how you may be involved is available here.
Additional information about the LRTP development process, development schedule, investment programs, and scenario-planning process is available to download via the links below.
- Charting Progress to 2040: Developing the Boston Region’s Next LRTP (pdf) (html)
- Certification documents development schedule (pdf) (html)
- Help Shape the Transportation Vision for the Future: Overview of Investment Programs (pdf) (html)
- Charting Progress to 2040: Scenario Planning Results (pdf) (html)
Current LRTP – Paths to a Sustainable Region
The current LRTP, Paths to a Sustainable Region, was adopted by the MPO on September 22, 2011, and was approved by the Federal Transit Administration and the Federal Highway Administration on November 30, 2011. An amendment to Paths to a Sustainable Region was adopted by the MPO on June 28, 2012, and approved by the federal agency partners on October 12, 2012. A second amendment (pdf) (html) was endorsed by the MPO on July 25, 2013, and approved by the federal agency partners on September 30, 2013. A third amendment (pdf) (html) was endorsed by the MPO on November 7, 2013, and submitted to the federal agency partners for approval.
The LRTP Archive contains older LRTP documents.
For more information, please contact Anne McGahan, MPO Staff, at 857.702.3676 or firstname.lastname@example.org.