Long-Range Transportation Plan
Home » Plans and Programs » Plans
The Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) guides investment in the Boston metropolitan region’s transportation system for the next 25 years. It defines an overarching vision of the region’s future transportation, establishes goals and objectives that will lead to achieving that vision, and allocates projected revenue to transportation programs and projects consistent with the Boston Region MPO’s goals. It also informs development of the short-range Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)—a set of transportation improvement projects that the MPO expects would be implemented during the next four years.
The LRTP—which is updated every four years to be responsive to the region’s continuously evolving needs—includes information on the following topics:
- Visions, goals and objectives to guide future investments
- A discussion of issues that influence those goals
- Projects recommended for funding during the time frame of 25 or more years that cost more than $20 million each, or that add capacity to the transportation system
- An assessment of the region’s transportation needs
- Forecasts of future travel demand
- Forecasts of financial resources for operating, maintaining, and investing in the transportation system
- Consideration of regional plans for land use, development, housing, and employment
- An examination of the distribution of the transportation system’s benefits and burdens among transportation equity and non-transportation equity populations
- An air quality conformity determination, which demonstrates that the LRTP is consistent with the State Implementation Plan for attaining air quality standards
Draft LRTP in Development – Charting Progress to 2040
The MPO has updated the LRTP to define transportation needs and priorities for the region through 2040. This process resulted in a new LRTP, Charting Progress to 2040, which will be completed in summer 2015. The draft of Charting Progress to 2040 is now being circulated for public review and comment. The LRTP creates a 25-year vision for transportation in the region and lays the foundation for the MPO’s other 3C planning activities, such as the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) and the Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP). The new LRTP is taking on an additional role by providing the framework for the MPO’s performance-based planning process. This process guides prioritization of programs and projects, and sets benchmarks for future performance measures and goal tracking.
This document may be downloaded in PDF and accessible formats below. Between now and July 24, 2015, comments on this document may be submitted through this website’s comment form or by using the contact information provided below. The MPO is also hosting a series of workshops (pdf) (html) during June 2015 to discuss the LRTP. MPO staff will be available to take comments and answer questions at these events.
- Executive Summary (pdf) (html)
- Table of Contents (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 1: Transportation Planning for the Boston Region (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 2: Process for Developing Charting Progress to 2040 (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 3: Transportation Needs in the Boston Region (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 4: Funding the Transportation Network (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 5: The Recommended Plan (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 6: Charting Performance (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 7: Transportation Equity (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 8: Air-Quality Conformity Determination and Greenhouse Gas Analysis (pdf) (html)
- Appendix A: Scenario Planning Process (pdf) (html)
- Appendix B: Universe of Projects and Programs (pdf) (html)
- Appendix C: Project Evaluation (pdf) (html)
- Appendix D: Public Comments (pdf) (html)
- Appendix E: Glossary of Acronyms (pdf) (html)
Charting Progress to 2040 Downloadable Resources
Additional information about the LRTP development process, development schedule, investment programs, and scenario-planning process is available to download via the links below.
- Vision Statement, Goals, and Objectives (pdf) (html)
- Charting Progress to 2040: Developing the Boston Region’s Next LRTP (pdf) (html)
- Certification documents development schedule (pdf) (html)
- Help Shape the Transportation Vision for the Future: Overview of Investment Programs (pdf) (html)
- Charting Progress to 2040: Scenario Planning Results (pdf) (html)
Charting Progress to 2040 Mini-Surveys
Please give the MPO your feedback on the region’s transportation system, both current and future, by taking a series of quick one- or two-question surveys. Results of these surveys will be combined with feedback generated at public meetings to inform the MPO of the public’s views as it finalizes the draft of Charting Progress to 2040.
Please check back weekly for new surveys or other information.
List of surveys:
- What are your transportation needs?
- What types of transportation projects would serve you best over the next 25 years?
- How would you rate the condition of the region’s transportation infrastructure?
- How would you allocate the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization’s (MPO's) money?
- How well would expanding the off-road bike-path network improve your ability to travel around the region?
- What types of transit improvements likely would increase your use of public transportation?
- How important is it to expand the public transportation system?
The LRTP Archive contains older LRTP documents.
Keeping Up to Date
Staff created a schedule (pdf) (html) that displays the development process of Charting Progress to 2040. More information will be posted on this webpage as it becomes available. Please check back for updates, and continue to check the MPO Meeting Calendar for opportunities to attend forums and workshops about Charting Progress to 2040.
For more information, please contact Anne McGahan, MPO Staff, at 857.702.3676 or firstname.lastname@example.org.