Before the transportation system can be improved, it is important to understand how it currently works—and how well it serves the people and communities that live and work in the Boston region. This is why a needs assessment undergirds the MPO’s Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) for the Boston Region, forming the basis on which the MPO makes decisions about allocating scarce federal funding resources.
The MPO’s needs assessment includes the following information about the region’s transportation system:
- Current state of the transportation system
- How it is used now
- How it is projected to be used in the future
- How it interacts with the region’s current and projected land use conditions and the environment
- How well it serves low-income and minority populations
Current Needs Assessment
Charting Progress to 2040, the MPO’s most recent LRTP, includes a needs assessment that documents regional priority needs, as well as land use and travel characteristics.
- Full Document (54 MB) (pdf)
- Chapter 1 – Introduction (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 2 – Land Use in the Boston Region MPO (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 3 – Travel Patterns in the Boston Region MPO (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 4 – Regionwide Needs Assessment (pdf) (html)
- Appendix A – Policies Guiding the MPO (pdf) (html)
Associated Interactive Apps
The MPO based its recent needs assessment on a rich suite of data. We invite you to view this data in the following set of interactive applications:
- Long-Range Transportation Plan Needs Assessment Application
- Congestion Management Process Dashboards
- Livable Communities Data Browser
- All-Hazards-Planning Application
- Vehicle-Miles Traveled and Emissions Data Browser
- Data Catalog—Long-Range Transportation Plan
Please click here to submit a comment about the MPO’s Needs Assessment.
For more information, please contact Anne McGahan, MPO staff, at 857.702.3676 or firstname.lastname@example.org.