You are invited to participate in the development of the new TIP. Refer to the timeline to the right for important documents and upcoming milestones, meetings, and events.
Overall TIP Process
October–December: Gather information about possible projects from the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), member municipalities, and the public
December–February: Analyze and evaluate potential construction projects based on the MPO’s evaluation criteria
March: Recommend projects for funding to the MPO based on the MPO staff’s evaluations and factors, such as project cost, project readiness, regional distribution of funding, and other planning priorities and constraints
April–May: Public review of the draft TIP document; incorporate feedback from municipalities and the public; agree on final list of transportation construction projects to program with federal funding; and endorse the final TIP by the end of May
The MPO’s New Capital Plan
At the MPO meeting on June 3, 2021, the board voted to endorse the FFYs 2022–26 TIP (PDF) (HTML). The TIP includes a list of transportation construction projects that the MPO will fund over the next five years. The FFYs 2021–25 TIP will remain in effect until September 30, 2021.
Initiating a TIP Project
- A municipal TIP contact is responsible for communicating with MPO staff about TIP project-related matters. MPO staff has created several resources to guide TIP contacts and project proponents. To review key information and to submit data that the MPO needs to evaluate a project, see the Project Proponent Questionnaire. For a step-by-step overview of the TIP Process, review the TIP How-To Presentation.
- To be considered for TIP funding, a project must be approved by MassDOT. To streamline project approval, MassDOT has launched the new Massachusetts Project Intake Tool (MaPIT), a web-based application that replaces the Project Need and Project Initiation Forms. To access MaPIT, project proponents must obtain a login for MassDOT’s GeoDOT Open Data Portal and navigate to the Project Intake Tool.
MPO’s TIP Resources:
- TIP Database
- Current TIP tables (PDF)
- Project Proponent Questionnaire
- TIP How-To Presentation
- TIP Evaluation Criteria
- TIP Development Page, FFYs 2019–23
- TIP Development Page, FFYs 2020–24
- TIP Development Page, FFYs 2021–25
MassDOT Project References:
- MassDOT Highway Project Development Tools
- Design Guides and Manuals
- Safe Routes to School Funding Programs
- MassDOT Highway Project Information Database
Federal Funding Programs:
- Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act Fact Sheets
- Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Transit Funding Grants
- Guide to Federal-Aid Programs And Projects